Like pulling up a chair in a locals-only hotspot, we want to hear amazing stories of the Crescent City from the people who know it best – whatever is in the heart and deserves to be said. Our aim is to publish a fascinating and surprising collection that will satisfy and inform anyone who loves New Orleans.
- We seek stories inspired by, set in, or about New Orleans.
- All genres welcome: Fiction, non-fiction, essay, plays, monologues, poetry, song lyrics, tall tales, family histories, folklore, neighborhood legends, even recipes (and recipe backstories too!).
- Each story must be 600 words or less. That's roughly equivalent to one full page of text, typed in 12 point font.
- Enter as many times as you wish.
- All skill levels welcome.
- All ages welcome. Anyone under 18 must have parent or guardian approval, and must provide parent/guardian name and phone number.
- You will retain ownership of any entries you submit. You may submit works which you have published elsewhere, but you must have permission or authority to re-print.
- Copyrighted works not approved for publication/reprint are not acceptable. Plagiarism is not acceptable. Any entrant found to plagiarize will be pulled from entry and his/her works will not be considered for publication.
My maintenance man is having heart surgery tomorrow. He’s 81 years old and he told me this morning that if [...]